We rely on doctors to take care of us when we are sick or injured and to help us get better and take the best possible care of ourselves. While the vast majority of doctors are good and work hard to take care of their patients there are some bad ones out there. And even the best doctor can make a mistake and make a decision in care and treatment that makes the patient worse. Bad medical practice is unfortunately a thing and that is why doctors carry malpractice insurance and why entire branches of legal representation are focused on medical injury and negligence. An injury lawyer can represent someone who has been injured due to decisions made by their health care provider. A botched surgery, unsafe medication prescriptions, and outright neglects in care are all causes for a patient to look for an attorney to sue doctor or staff. A medical malpractice case is a big deal and is not something that should be undertaken alone and without experienced legal representation. Attorneys that handle malpractice cases against doctors can help you prepare and can represent you in the courtroom and fight for your rights to justice and compensation for your pain and injuries. It is a must-have for any medical malpractice case you want to bring forth.
If you have been injured because of medical malpractice, it is crucial to hire a reputable, trust worthy medical malpractice lawyer in order for you to get the justice you deserve. Any bodily injury obtained by malpractice is susceptible to a lawsuit, but because you are putting your life in their hands it is important to choose the right malpractice attorney. Before you hire, make sure to ask them the following questions.
First off, it is okay to consult different malpractice lawyers before you make your decision. You should choose the lawyer with the correct experience, and one that makes you feel confident in their abilities. Some questions you can ask include:
1. How long have you been a lawyer for?
2. Do you specialize in medical malpractice? If you haven’t, what is your specialty?
3. Have you worked on cases similar to mine?
4. Have you worked defending patients or doctors in the past?
The whole point of hiring a malpractice lawyer is to win your case. Even though the law does change and no case is the same, your lawyer should feel confident in their ability to win you a proper settlement. Consider asking these questions:
1. Please tell me the results of some of your more recent cases you have won.
2. What do you foresee happening with my case? How successful of a case do I have?
3. What do you need from me to be successful?
4. Do you typically settle in court or out of court?
5. Can you describe to me the process you would take with my case and how long you would estimate it taking?
Sometimes, attorneys at large law firms do not handle all parts of each of their case. While this is normal, if this is not what you are expecting feel free to choose a lawyer that can give you the personal attention you require. To make sure you are clear in understanding how they work, ask the following:
1. Will you handle the complete case yourself or will you refer it to an assistant or another smaller law firm?
2. Will you be interacting with any other professionals like doctors, paralegals, and additional lawyers?
3. Can you please give me a complete list of costs and attorneys fees? Make sure to do this so you are not surprised at the end of your case!
If you have been hurt, do not hesitate to contact an malpractice attorney today!