If you have been a victim of a personal injury accident, it is important to make sure that you contact an attorney as soon as possible. Whether you have been injured in one of the thousands of truck accidents that you happen in a year or you have been injured in an accident at work, it is important to have your own legal representation.
If you have recently survived a serious accident, it is understandable to feel relief at first. Before long, however, you will likely be faced with the reality of doctor’s appointments or long hospital stays, as well as rehabilitation bills and possible modifications to your home and your car. And while it is good to be grateful, it is also important to be careful as well. Careful that you do not accept an insurance settlement too soon or careful to let someone else’s lawyer make decision that will affect you for your entire life.
By working with your own attorney, you might be able to more accurately predict the future resources that you will need. Often, the responsible party’s attorney will try to force a quick settlement before you have had a chance to evaluate both your current situation and what your future will be like. Experienced personal injury attorneys and personal injury law firms can help people deal with car and truck accidents, as well as workplace accidents and other situations that are caused by someone else’s carelessness.
Consider some of these facts and figures about the many times that people find themselves in need of personal injury attorneys:
- Nearly 1.1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics in the year 2015.
- Illegal and legal drugs other than alcohol are involved in approximately 16% of all motor vehicle crashes.
- More than 37,000 U.S. residents die in road crashes annually, according to the Association for Safe International Road Travel (ASIRT).
- Pedestrians over the age of 65 accounted for 19% of all pedestrian deaths, as well as an estimated 13% of all pedestrians injured in 2015.
- 95% to 96% of personal injury cases are settled pretrial.
Looking out for your own best interest is important if you have recently been a victim of a car, truck, or work place accident. One of the best ways of doing this is by making sure that you have your own legal counsel.